Portugal Golden visa 2023 for Americans
It might seem a bit overwhelming making the move from America to Portugal, but it is easier than you might think. Portugal offers several visa options, The Golden visa 2023 for Americans to Portugal being on of the most popular.
One of the easiest ways to obtain a long term residence permit in Portugal for Americans is to apply for residency-by-investment.
The program known as Golden Visa allows you to get residency in Portugal without having to learn the language, and without having to confirm your education and professional qualifications, as you must when applying for a work or student visa for Portugal.
The process of getting a residence permit in Portugal by investment via the Golden Visa program usually takes a few months.
It might seem long when you are excited to get going, but you need this time to get all your necessary documents, make the investment, apply, and lastly to pass the Due Diligence check.
The process is not particularly complicated, but we highly recommend getting help from a professional consultant company that can ensure the process goes smoothly.
General rules for residence permit in Portugal by Golden Visa:
- Invest: €280,000+ in real estate older than 30 years or located specific renovation areas
- Invest: €400,000+ in newer real estate
- Invest: €500,000 in fund shares
- Invest: €500,000 in a business that will create no les the five jobs
- Invest: €1,500,000 by transferring capital to Portugal
- Invest: €250,000 in culture, art, or reconstruction of national heritage
- Invest: €500,000 in research programs
NB: The rules for Golden Visa might be changing. Please confirm with experts before moving forward.
The most popular option under the Golden Visa in Portugal for Americans is to purchase real estate or shares in investment funds.
Close relatives and family members of the person making the investment, such as spouse, children under 26, and parents of the main applicant may also apply for residency permits under the Golden Visa program for Americans moving to Portugal.
The family composition does not affect the minimum investment amount. Only the additional costs, like government fees, tend to be higher depending on the number of relatives included in the application.
Checklist for applying for the Golden Visa to Portugal:
- Main applicant must be over the age on 18 years
- The applicant can not have any convictions or refusals in the Schengen area
- Applicant must have investments funds earned outside of Portugal
- Applicant must be debt free in Portugal
- Applicant must be able to prove legal income
- Applicant must have health insurance
What family members might apply with the main applicant?
- Children up to the age of 26 years old and financially dependent on the main applicant
- Parents over the age of 65, that are financially dependent on the main applicant. Under certain conditions younger parents may also join the application
Cost of applying for a Golden Visa to Portugal:
- €250.000 minimum investment in culture, art, or reconstruction of national heritage, or €280,000 minimum investment in property
- €5,340 Fee for the residence permit card,per family member
- €533 Application fee per family member
- €400+ Medical insurance per person
- Taxes and commissions depend on the chosen investment option
- You must accept the application for a Golden Visa to take between 6 and 8 months
Minimum stay in Portugal after receiving Golden Visa:
- After being granted the Golden Visa all applicants must spend a minimum of 7 days a year in Portugal
How long is the Golden Visa valid?
- After a Golden Visa has been granted, the applicant must renew the visa after 12 months, and again after 48 months
D7 Visa for Americans moving to Portugal
If you find that the Golden Visa is not the best visa option for you when moving from the US to Portugal, you should consider the D7 visa for Portugal-
The d7 Visa is designed for individuals that can prove a source of permanent passive income, but does not require you to buy property in Portugal. Read more about the options D7 Visa offers Americans looking to move to Portugal her...